Living with unwanted extra weight can be unhealthy. It can lead to diabetes, high blood pressure, sleep apnea and joint problems, especially if left untreated. If you’ve been diagnosed with obesity, diet and exercise alone sometimes can’t bring your weight down. If exercise and diet alone have failed to help, weight-loss surgery might be an option for you. Also called bariatric surgery, this offers an effective way to improve your health.
Is Surgery Right for Me?
Surgery isn't the right choice for everyone. Find out if you qualify for bariatric surgery.
Weight-Loss Surgery at UVA
At UVA, we have the most experienced bariatric and metabolic surgery team in Central Virginia. We offer the following weight-loss procedures:
- Gastric bypass
- Sleeve gastrectomy
- Endoscopic sleeve gastroplasty
- Endoscopic gastric balloon
Learn more about these weight-loss procedures.
Angela's New Lease on Life
Angela Taylor's struggles with weight management were compounded by tragic loss. Her consultation with bariatric & general surgeon Peter Hallowell opened a new chapter of her journey. View Angela's transcript.
Weight-Loss Surgery Expertise at UVA
UVA has been a leader in weight-loss surgery for more than two decades. We:
- Offer a comprehensive program that includes:
- Education and evaluation
- Board certified surgeons
- Physicians specially trained in metabolic disorders
- Certified registered nurses
- Behavioral health specialists
- Have the most experienced metabolic and bariatric team in central Virginia, with more than 3,000 successful surgeries performed
- Take patients with a BMI of 35 and higher, with special expertise treating patients with a BMI of 60 or higher
- Are designated a comprehensive center by the Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Accreditation and Quality Improvement Program (MBSAQIP)
- Are a Blue Cross and Blue Shield Blue Distinction Center