Living with unwanted extra weight can be unhealthy. It can lead to diabetes, high blood pressure, sleep apnea and joint problems, especially if left untreated. If you’ve been diagnosed with obesity, diet and exercise alone sometimes can’t bring your weight down. If exercise and diet alone have failed to help, weight-loss surgery might be an option for you. Also called bariatric surgery, this offers an effective way to improve your health.
Is Surgery Right for Me?
Surgery isn't the right choice for everyone. Find out if you qualify for bariatric surgery.
Weight-Loss Surgery at UVA
At UVA, we have the most experienced bariatric and metabolic surgery team in central Virginia. The UVA Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Clinic takes patients from referring doctors throughout the region. These include the most at-risk and difficult surgeries.
Our experts perform:
- Gastric bypass
- Gastric sleeve
- SADI, or single anastomosis duodeno–ileal bypass with sleeve gastrectomy
- Endoscopic sleeve gastroplasty, a non-surgical procedure
Learn more about these weight-loss procedures.
How Much Will Surgery Cost?
Get a general idea of what you'll have to pay: Use calculators, see price lists, or ask for a personalized estimate.
Angela's New Lease on Life
Angela Taylor's struggles with weight management were compounded by tragic loss. Her consultation with bariatric & general surgeon Peter Hallowell opened a new chapter of her journey. View Angela's transcript.
UVA has been a leader in weight-loss surgery for more than two decades. Our program includes:
- Education and evaluation
- Board-certified surgeons
- Doctors specially trained in metabolic disorders
- Certified registered nurses
- Behavioral health specialists
Our program also:
- Has performed more than 3,000 successful surgeries
- Takes patients with a BMI of 35 and higher, with special expertise treating patients with a BMI of 60 or higher
- Holds designation as a comprehensive center by the Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Accreditation and Quality Improvement Program (MBSAQIP)
- Is a Blue Cross and Blue Shield Blue Distinction Center