Obesity is a preventable medical condition that can cause diabetes, high blood pressure, sleep apnea and joint problems. If exercise and diet alone have failed to help, weight loss surgery offers an effective way to lose weight and improve your health.
At UVA, we have the most experienced bariatric and metabolic surgery team in Central Virginia. All of these procedures shrink the size of your stomach to allow the loss of life-threatening weight:
- Gastric bypass
- Sleeve gastroplasty
- Sleeve gastrectomy
- Gastric balloon
Body Mass Index (BMI) is a tool that compares your height to your weight to measure your body fat. BMI results fall into these ranges:
- BMI less than 18.5 = underweight
- 18.25-24.9 = healthy weight
- 25-29.9 = overweight
- 30-34.9 = Class I obesity
- 35-39.9 = Class II obesity
- 40 and over = Class III obesity
You can calculate your BMI using this tool from the NIH.
Individuals qualify for weight loss surgery if they:
- Have a Body Mass Index (BMI) of 35 and over with at least one obesity-related condition, or
- Have a BMI of 40 and over
Why Choose UVA?
UVA has been a leader in weight-loss surgery for more than two decades. We:
- Have the most experienced metabolic and bariatric team in central Virginia, with more than 3,000 successful surgeries performed
- Take patients with a BMI of 35 and higher, with expertise treating patients with a BMI of 60 or higher
- Are designated a comprehensive center by the Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Accreditation and Quality Improvement Program (MBSAQIP)
- Are a Blue Cross and Blue Shield Blue Distinction Center
- Offer a comprehensive program that includes:
- Education and evaluation
- Board certified surgeons
- Physicians specially trained in metabolic disorders
- Certified registered nurses
- Behavioral health specialists
Learn more about the services offered at the UVA Metabolic & Bariatric Surgery Clinic.