Billing: FAQs

Billing Questions? Call

How do I pay my bill?

You have three options:

  • Pay online through MyChart
  • Pay by phone:  844.377.0846  
  • Pay by mail: Mail your payment along with the bottom portion of your statement in the enclosed envelope

Learn more about how to pay bills for visits before July 1, 2017.

How does the billing process work?

You are responsible for paying your bill(s). We will bill your insurance company directly unless you give us different instructions. If a balance remains after we have settled with your insurance, that balance is noted on your statement and is due upon receipt.

I don't have health insurance, have limited coverage, or for other reasons I need help with paying my hospital bill. Do you have a program to help me?

We have several programs to help patients with medical expenses. You may also contact us and arrange monthly installments with interest-free financing. Get more information about billing and financial assistance options.

Can I view my bill online?

Yes. You can view your UVA Health bill and manage your health online through MyChart.

Do you offer paperless billing?

Yes. You have the option to manage all your UVA Health accounts online through MyChart — pay your bill, view past statements, check outstanding balances, set up payment plans, and sign up for paperless billing.

What is MyChart?

MyChart is a secure patient portal website that allows you to access your health information and communicate with your doctors online. Using a secure username and password, you can log in directly to MyChart to view your statements and pay your bills.

I’m not on MyChart — how do I sign up? 

Go to MyChart and choose “Sign Up (I don’t have a code)”.

My bill lists "none" for insurance and I have insurance. Why did this happen and what should I do?

During the registration process, your insurance information was not entered. Please call Patient Financial Services at 434.297.5416 as soon as possible and provide the following information about your insurance:

  1. Name of the insurance company
  2. Policy number
  3. Group number
  4. When the policy started
  5. Where the claim should be mailed (the address of the insurance company)
  6. Name of the policy holder
  7. The relationship of the policy holder to the patient

Where do I mail payments?

University of Virginia Health
P.O. Box 743977
Atlanta, GA 30374-3977

Send a statement payment stub along with your payment so we can apply your payment to the correct account.

Why is the payment mailing address in Atlanta, GA?

UVA Health uses a payment processing center located in Atlanta.

Where do I mail information about my application for financial assistance?

University of Virginia Medical Center
Patient Financial Services
P.O. Box 800750
Charlottesville, VA 22908

Where do I call if I have questions about my application for financial assistance?


How can I get a cost estimate of hospital and physician services?

You can request cost estimates online.

How can I get my billing-related information released to specific parties?

Use this HIPAA-compliant form for patients (PDF). Signing it gives us permission to release billing-related information to specific parties. Once this form has been signed and completed, UVA Health can release the specified information to the person, business or law firm as directed by the patient.

I received a bill from the Medical Center. What is the bill for?

Inpatient (you were in the hospital overnight) and outpatient charges from UVA Medical Center are for hospital services such as lab work, X-rays, outpatient surgery or your stay in the hospital if you were an inpatient.