Brain Tumor Treatments That Go Beyond
At UVA, we provide the standard cancer treatments for brain tumors: chemotherapy, radiation, steroids and shunts.
But you'll find more than the basics here.
Getting a Brain Tumor Diagnosis
We have several advanced neuroradiology tools for finding brain tumors:
- Neurological exam
- Computed tomography scan (CT scan)
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)
- Bone scan
- Arteriogram (angiogram)
- Spinal tap (lumbar puncture)
- Positron emission tomography (PET)
- Magnetic resonance spectroscopy (MRS)
- Surgical biopsy
Technology for Better, Safer Tumor Removal
We have high-tech tools that help us surgically remove difficult, hard-to-get tumors with accuracy and less risk. These include:
- A GPS-like system that maps the safest, best route to the tumor in your brain
- Brain scans in a special operating room that result in fast, accurate neurosurgery
We don't just treat your tumor. We find out the best treatment method for your specific tumor.
We do this with molecular cytogenetics. This scientific method shows which of your cells are normal and which are cancer-causing at a very precise level. We can then tell which brain tumors will respond best to chemotherapy.
Other ways we can target your tumor:
- Bone marrow transplant
- Gene therapy
Removing Brain Tumors Without Surgery
Effective, proven and safe, these powerful treatments can treat your brain tumor fast and without surgery: