If you're a woman, you have a 1 in 8 chance of getting breast cancer during your lifespan. You have a 1 in 35 chance of dying from breast cancer. But while these odds have increased and tools to screen for and treat breast cancer have improved in the last few decades, don't neglect your risk. You should know your risk level and perform regular breast self-exams to check for lumps as well as get checked through a breast cancer screening. With an early diagnosis, you'll have a 98% chance of making the five-year survival rate.
Advanced Breast Cancer Screening Tools
At UVA, our diagnostics include today’s most sophisticated tools, including:
- Digital mammography provides fast, exact results
- 3D mammography, detects very small cancers and rules out false positives
- Screening MRI can locate breast cancers that mammograms might miss
- Automated breast ultrasound uses sounds waves to map the location and size of breast lumps
- Stereotactic biopsy finds the exact location of a breast lump or suspicious area
Visit the Van
Our mobile mammography coach brings comprehensive screening services to women at workplaces and community locations throughout Virginia.
Financial Aid for Mammograms
Every Woman's Life offers three important health exams: Pap tests, breast exams and mammograms for women ages 40-64 who are not covered by Medicare. The program covers the counties of Albemarle, Buckingham, Fluvanna, Greene, Louisa, Madison, Nelson and Orange, and the City of Charlottesville.
Women must qualify based on income, age and other factors. If you would like to find out if you are eligible for the program, please complete the following survey: Every Woman's Life Screening Questionnaire.