If you're a woman, you have a 1 in 8 chance of getting breast cancer. You can manage this risk by doing self breast exams and getting regular breast cancer screenings. For the most protection, you'll want the right type of screening for your individual risk level and needs. The sooner you get to breast cancer, the better your odds of survival.
Breast Cancer Screening at UVA
At UVA, you'll get access to advanced imaging tools. We have mammograms for high-risk people, for dense breast tissue, and more. We're committed to early detection and making sure you get what you need.
Breast Cancer Screening Guidelines
Carrie Rochman, MD, reviews your options for breast cancer screenings. Along with standard mammograms, we have options if you are at high risk or have dense breast issue. View screening options transcript.
At UVA, our diagnostics include today’s most sophisticated tools, including:
- Digital mammography provides fast, exact results
- 3D mammography detects very small cancers and rules out false positives
- Screening MRI, creates detailed pictures that other mammograms miss
- Automated breast ultrasound uses sounds waves to map the location and size of breast lumps
- Stereotactic biopsy finds the exact location of a breast lump or suspicious area
Screening MRI & Fast Breast MRI
Have you been told you need a breast MRI? A breast MRI doesn't replace your regular mammogram. But it can show cancers that regular mammograms miss.
At UVA, we offer two types of breast MRIs:
- High-Risk Screening Breast MRI, for women at high risk for breast cancer; takes about 45 minutes
- Fast Breast MRI, for women at average risk with dense breast tissue; takes about 10 minutes
For this procedure, you'll get injected with dye. You'll then lie flat in an MRI machine while we take scans. The radiologist who reads your scans has a high level of special training in breast imaging. This makes them an expert in recognizing cancer at the earliest stage possible.
For more information, talk to your provider.
Visit the Van
Our mobile mammography coach brings comprehensive screening services to women at workplaces and community locations throughout Virginia.
Financial Aid for Mammograms
Every Woman's Life offers three important health exams: Pap tests, breast exams and mammograms for women ages 40-64 who are not covered by Medicare. The program covers the counties of Albemarle, Buckingham, Fluvanna, Greene, Louisa, Madison, Nelson and Orange, and the City of Charlottesville.
Women must qualify based on income, age and other factors. If you would like to find out if you are eligible for the program, please complete the following survey: Every Woman's Life Screening Questionnaire.