Get a Referral
You must meet with your primary care provider and discuss what is involved with a lung cancer screening prior to undergoing a lung cancer screening at UVA. You do not need to be a UVA patient to receive your screening test here.
Talk with your doctor about the high-risk criteria you must meet to qualify for a screening:
- Currently free from symptoms of cancer
- Between ages of 55 and 77
- Smoked at least a pack a day for 30 years or longer, or two packs a day for 15 years
- Currently smoke tobacco products or have quit within the past 15 years
Early Detection for High-Risk Smokers
The goal of lung cancer screening is early detection, so surgery is still an option. View lung cancer screening transcript.
Costs & Coverage
Medicare and most private insurance companies cover the cost of lung cancer screening if you meet the eligibility criteria mentioned above.
In February 2015, the Centers for Medicaid and Medicare Services (CMS) added low-dose CT lung screening to their preventative service benefits for patients who meet eligibility criteria. Private insurers and CMS will reimburse for LDCT lung screening for patients that meet the above high-risk criteria.
No matter what your financial or insurance coverage may be, call our program coordinator for more information if you are interested in a scan.
The Lung Cancer Alliance designated UVA as a Screening Center of Excellence for following evidence-based national guidelines and demonstrating compliance with the compressive standards developed by the National Lung Screening Trial based on best practices for controlling low-dose CT scan quality, radiation dose and diagnostic procedures and compliance.
The American College of Radiology (ACR) has accredited four of our locations for:
- Meeting rigorous safety and diagnostic care measures, including the use of advanced CT technology of the chest
- Ensuring proper follow-up procedures are in place
- Offering smoking cessation programs to high-risk lung cancer patients
The four ACR-Accredited Lung Cancer Screening Locations at UVA include:
- Emily Couric Clinical Cancer Center
- Radiology & Medical Imaging
- UVA Imaging at Fontaine
- UVA Imaging at Zion Crossroads