Our award-winning breastfeeding program encourages and teaches you how to give your child the most healthy start possible.
Breastfeeding Support Services
Mothers who breastfeed their babies give them a healthy start in the world. During and after your hospital stay, our nursing staff and lactation consultants provide you with the support you need to breastfeed your newborn.
UVA leads the way in offering support to newly breastfeeding mothers.
- UVA is one of only 12 hospitals recognized by the Virginia Department of Health for its support to breastfeeding moms.
- In 2014, a federal survey ranked UVA in the top 5 percent of hospitals for our support of breastfeeding.
- In 2015, UVA Children’s Hospital earned an international award for its support of breastfeeding mothers.
Policies That Promote Breastfeeding
Much of our success comes from policies and procedures put in place as part of our work to earn the international Baby-Friendly designation. To this end:
- All babies are put skin-to-skin with their mother immediately after birth.
- Babies sleep in the same room as their mothers at all times.
- All staff have been trained to support breastfeeding mothers, even in the NICU.
- Lactation consultants visit new mothers regularly.
- We work to get your newborn breastfeeding within an hour of birth.
Get Breastfeeding Support
Preparing to Breastfeed?
We can help you, even after you go home, as you deal with:
- Milk supply
- A baby refusing a bottle
- Nursing when the baby is hospitalized
Make An Appointment
Call our breastfeeding experts at one of our two locations: