Emergency Management (EM) is the managerial function charged with creating the framework within which communities reduce vulnerability to hazards and cope with disasters. The UVA Health System EM program takes an all-hazards, full-spectrum (preparedness, response, recovery and mitigation) approach to emergency management, while maintaining normal operations with minimal negative impact on patient care and visitor safety.
Virginia is vulnerable to a variety of natural, technological and human-caused emergencies and disasters. A planned and coordinated response by the University of Virginia Health System (UVAHS) can save lives, protect assets and more quickly restore essential services. The emergency management mission of UVAHS is to provide a measured and graduated response to emergencies of increasing levels of complexity by building upon daily operating concepts to ensure resources are matched to the needs of the patient, our facilities and the community from which we operate.
Management & Oversight
The Emergency Management Program is managed by the director of emergency management and the Emergency Management Workgroup. The Safety and Security Sub-Committee provides programmatic oversight, policy direction, and the synchronization of Emergency Management Program efforts with other UVAHS committee and sub-committee staff actions.
What We Do
The Emergency Management Program works to:
- Provide direction and subject matter expertise in the field of emergency management to heighten our state of disaster readiness
- Conduct annual hazard vulnerability assessments (HVAs) to identify potential emergencies within the organization and community that could affect the demand for and/or ability to provide healthcare services
- Develop and maintain a variety of emergency plans, policies, and procedures. These include comprehensive Emergency Operations Plans (EOPs), Incident Action Plans (IAPs), and Business Continuity Plans (COOPs)
- Provide educational opportunities for employees at all levels in order to establish and sustain Emergency Management competencies
- Organize and implement disaster tabletops, drills, and full scale exercises necessary to prepare our staff and partners to carry out their identified roles and responsibilities
- Develop and maintain partnerships with city, county, regional, state, private, and voluntary organizations in order to prepare for, effectively respond to, and quickly recover from emergency events
- In conjunction with Health System Public Affairs, notify team members, patients, visitors, partners, and local community of emergency events that may affect public safety
- Maintain a comprehensive emergency equipment cache to provide supplemental resources to the Health System and region in times of emergency or disaster
- Support the Health System’s response to emergencies and disasters through the utilization of the Hospital Incident Command System (HICS), mobilization of Incident Management Teams (IMTS), and activation of the Hospital Command Center (HCC)
- Conduct After Action Reviews (AARs) and develop Improvement Plans (IPs) following an emergency or disaster to facilitate enhancements to the Health System’s emergency response capabilities
- Robert T. Truoccolo, MS, CEM, Interim Director of Emergency Management
- Teresa Dorrier, Admin Specialist
Find us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter @UVAHSEM