Emergency Management (EM) is the managerial function charged with creating the framework within which communities reduce vulnerability to hazards and cope with disasters. The UVA Health System EM program takes an all-hazards, full-spectrum (preparedness, response, recovery and mitigation) approach to emergency management, while maintaining normal operations with minimal negative impact on patient care and visitor safety.
Virginia is vulnerable to a variety of natural, technological and human-caused emergencies and disasters. A planned and coordinated response by the University of Virginia Health System (UVAHS) can save lives, protect assets and more quickly restore essential services. The emergency management mission of UVAHS is to provide a measured and graduated response to emergencies of increasing levels of complexity by building upon daily operating concepts to ensure resources are matched to the needs of the patient, our facilities and the community from which we operate.
Management & Oversight
The Emergency Management Program is managed by the director of emergency management and the Emergency Management Workgroup. The Safety and Security Sub-Committee provides programmatic oversight, policy direction, and the synchronization of Emergency Management Program efforts with other UVAHS committee and sub-committee staff actions.
The Emergency Management Program is designed to accomplish the objectives outlined below.
- Coordinate the Health System's response to emergencies and disasters.
- Complete annual Hazard Vulnerability Assessments (HVA).
- Develop and maintain Emergency Operations Plans (EOP).
- Maintain and staff the Hospital Command Center (HCC).
- Organize and implement disaster tabletops, drills, and full scale exercises.
- Provide educational opportunities for employees at all levels in order to establish and sustain Emergency Management competencies.
- Research, apply for, and maintain state and federal emergency management grants.
- Ensure the Emergency Management Program meets applicable Joint Commission Elements of Performance and Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) Conditions of Participation.
- Maintain Health System Red Books (local emergency guides).
- Develop and maintain Health System Emergency Management policies and procedures.
- Coordinate the implementation and use of the Hospital Incident Command System (HICS).
- Maintain and activate Incident Management (IMT) and Sub-Incident Management Teams.
- Maintain and utilize emergency mass-messaging and communications systems.
- Maintain and utilize a comprehensive inventory of medical and non-medical disaster equipment.
- Provide emergency management consultation and support services to various health system committees and workgroups.
- Coordinate the Incident Action Plan (IAP) process.
- Coordinate the development of After Action Reviews (AARs) and Improvement Plans (IPs) post-incident.
- Liaise with state, regional and local emergency management and emergency response personnel.
- Thomas "Tom" H. Berry, MHA, CEM, Director of Emergency Management
- Robert T. Truoccolo, CEM, Emergency Management Coordinator
- Teresa Dorrier, Admin Specialist
Find us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter @UVAHSEM