The Diversity and Community Engagement Office offers a range of opportunities, resources, and events for patients and families.
To support UVA Health teams, we guide efforts to ensure an inclusive and respectful learning, training, and working environment.
Within the greater Charlottesville region, we aim to improve community health and well being by addressing social determinants of health. This work will reduce the health disparities amongst those at risk or underserved.
Our work will support the overall mission of UVA Health: Transforming health and inspiring hope for all Virginians and beyond.
To cultivate an inclusive community that embraces, values, and celebrates diversity and creates an engaging, equitable environment.
At UVA Health, we put the patient at the center of everything we do. We ASPIRE to create a culture of trust, respect, and engagement through our values:
- Accountability: Acknowledging and assuming responsibility for where we have succeeded and failed in terms of our actions, decisions, policies, and results
- Stewardship: Responsibly and carefully managing our resources and commitment to continual improvement and learning while acknowledging shortcomings or problems in our quest
- Professionalism: Approaching all that we do in a collaborative way, delivering excellent care through the lens of helpfulness, positivity, kindness, and competency
- Integrity: Being honest, open, and fair through our behaviors, attitude, and treatment of others
- Respect: Being mindful of building a diverse and inclusive environment while showing compassion for everyone through our caring and intentional ways
- Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion: Promoting an environment of inclusivity, equity, and respect for our patients, visitors team members, and students, and striving to improve community health by addressing social determinants of health
- To effectively evaluate and address the social disparities and health inequities that negatively impact our historically marginalized and underrepresented communities within Charlottesville city and Albemarle County in a compassionate, comprehensive, systemic, and holistic manner.
- To empower our constituents through educational resources, community engagement activities, and collaborative partnerships that increase the overall health and well-being of the community.
- To develop DEI Trainings that inspire, heal, and bring a sense of hope and resiliency to all participants and increase the capacity for courageous conversations and cultural competency.