The Diversity and Community Engagement Office offers a range of opportunities, resources, and events for patients and families.
To support UVA Health teams, we guide efforts to ensure an inclusive and respectful learning, training, and working environment.
Within the greater Charlottesville region, we aim to improve community health and well being by addressing social determinants of health. This work will reduce the health disparities amongst those at risk or underserved.
Our work will support the overall mission of UVA Health: Transforming health and inspiring hope for all Virginians and beyond.
To cultivate an inclusive community that embraces, values, and celebrates diversity and creates an engaging, equitable environment.
At UVA Health, we put the patient at the center of everything we do. We ASPIRE to create a culture of trust, respect, and engagement through our values:
- Accountability: Acknowledging and assuming responsibility for where we have succeeded and failed in terms of our actions, decisions, policies, and results.
- Stewardship: Managing our resources and commitment to continual improvement and learning responsibly and carefully while acknowledging shortcomings or problems in our quest.
- Professionalism: Approaching all that we do in a collaborative way and delivering excellent care through the lens of helpfulness, positivity, kindness, and competency.
- Integrity: Being honest, open, and fair through our behaviors, attitude, and treatment of others.
- Respect: Valuing everyone through our compassionate and caring ways.
- Equity: Fostering an environment of belonging that promotes justice, equity, diversity, inclusion, and unity throughout the organization and within the communities we serve.
- To effectively evaluate and address the social disparities and health inequities that negatively impact our historically marginalized and underrepresented communities within Charlottesville city and Albemarle County in a compassionate, comprehensive, systemic, and holistic manner.
- To empower our constituents through educational resources, community engagement activities, and collaborative partnerships that increase the overall health and well-being of the community.
- To develop DEI Trainings that inspire, heal, and bring a sense of hope and resiliency to all participants and increase the capacity for courageous conversations and cultural competency.