Feeling Sick? Before You Come to ER
Like hospitals across the country, we're seeing large numbers of people coming to the ER with COVID symptoms. To best serve our community, we're asking that you only come to the emergency department with severe symptoms.
Reducing the number of visits to the ED will shorten wait times and help us provide the best care possible.
When NOT to Come to the ER
Please don't come to the emergency department with just:
- The need for a COVID test
- Mild COVID symptoms (cough, fever)
- Non-urgent illness
Worried you have COVID? Do:
- Call your primary care provider
- Get answers from the Blue Ridge Health District
- Take an at-home test or find a test near you
When You SHOULD Come to the ER
Come to the emergency department or call 911 with serious, urgent health needs, like:
- Chest pain or potential heart attack
- Stroke symptoms
- Extreme COVID symptoms that last for days, like difficulty breathing, low oxygen levels, intense chest pain, or fever
We're vaccinating adults and children 6 months of age and older. Find out about booster shots, third doses, and COVID-19 prevention.
To make your vaccine appointment, schedule through MyChart, or call 434.297.4829.
Questions? Read our COVID-19 vaccine FAQs.
- You can now get vaccinated at UVA Health. Call 434.297.4829.
- Children aged 5 and up can get vaccinated. Call 434.297.4829.
- The emergency room is open.
- We’re open for appointments, procedures, and surgeries.
- We now offer virtual visits.
- Call your clinic if you think you need a coronavirus test.
- Providers can refer certain patients for antibody treatment.
- Masks are required.
- We're testing all hospital patients for COVID-19.
- Entrances and parking are restricted.
- See the latest visitor guidelines.
- The gift shop is open.
- Read about coronavirus prevention.
- See definitions of coronavirus terms.
- Learn what to do if you're sick at home.
- Check out our resources and FAQs.
Many clinics now offer appointments through online video and phone calls.
Call your clinic to see if these options work for you.