From headaches to strokes, neurologists at UVA give you the attention needed to properly diagnose and care for your condition.
Our general neurologists work closely with teams of nationally recognized subspecialty neurologists, neurosurgeons and neuropsychologists, as well as specialists throughout UVA, to give you a superlative experience in a welcoming environment.
These teams evaluate and treat adults with a variety of neurological symptoms and disorders.
Conditions We Treat
We opened the first multidisciplinary clinic in Virginia specifically for people with Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS or Lou Gehrig's disease) and their families.
Four of our neurodegenerative programs have been designated Centers of Excellence by the official bodies of their respective fields:
- Our ALS program, by the ALS Association
- Our Parkinson’s disease program, by the American Parkinson’s Disease Association
- Our Huntington’s disease program, by the Huntington’s Disease Society of America
- Our Guillain-Barré syndrome program, by the GBS-CIDP Foundation
- Our Lewy Body disease program, as a Research Center of Excellence, by the Lewy Body Dementia Association
The National MS Society has designated our multiple sclerosis program a Center for Comprehensive Care.
And we're the only designated CurePSP Center of Care in VA.
Brain Scans & Imaging
Neurologists work closely with neuroradiologists, using the latest technology to view critical areas of your brain. Our imaging tools include:
- CT and MRI scans
- FMRI (imaging of blood flow in the brain)
- PET scan
- SPECT scan (3D imaging using gamma rays)
Find out about neuroradiology at UVA.
Facing issues of aging, neurodegenerative diseases or other neurologic disorders? We put a whole team to work to develop a treatment plan that works for you. This team includes neuropsychologists, who use the latest tests and tools to accurately diagnose your condition and help you and your family learn about it.
Find out the role neuropsychologists play.